August 02, 2004

Admission Leads to Happiness

The dryblog daily quota from Jane:

'There was nothing fun or glamorous about drinking. It was a miserable existence... I did not think it was a problem until 18 months ago, when I realised I did have a problem and I admitted it to myself. Alcoholics are in denial. They don't want to admit it. I consider myself an alcoholic and if I have one swig of an alcoholic drink that would just start me off again. I have no doubt in my mind about that. Once I had it I would get a craving and would not be able to stop... Now life's fantastic. It's just unbelievable. I never thought I could stop drinking, even though I repeatedly tried to stop on my own... There was a period recently where they were things happening in my life I had very little control over and I did come quite close to having a drink. But instead of picking up a drink, I picked up the phone and spoke to somebody else about how I was feeling and got support.'
- Jane, 'Suffolk Evening Star'"

No comments: