August 03, 2004

Recovery means leaving old life behind

In an article in The Maryville Tennesee Daily Times Steve Wildsmith explains:

"There's a particular saying in the rooms of recovery that may sound corny, but it's applicable: 'If you hang out in the barbershop long enough, you're going to get a haircut.' If I hang out in bars and with old friends, I'm eventually going to get high again. I know what goes on in those old places -- the same thing going on when I was hanging out there.

Today, I know that I can't go around those old friends, either. Not to say hello (that's what the phone is for), not to see how they're doing (the same things they've always done), not to share my recovery (I'm not in the hero business, and more often than not, they'll get me high before I get them clean)."

No comments: