October 11, 2005

This Too Shall Pass

If I can endure for this minute
Whatever is happening to me,
No matter how heavy my heart is
Or how dark the moment may be-
If I can remain calm and quiet
With all the world crashing about me,
Secure in the knowledge God loves me
When everyone else seems to doubt me-
If I can but keep on believing
What I know in my heart to be true,
That darkness will fade with the morning
And that this will pass away, too-
Then nothing in life can defeat me
For as long as this knowledge remains
I can suffer whatever is happening
For I know God will break all of the chains
That are binding me tight in the darkness
And trying to fill me with fear-
For there is no night without dawning
And I know that my morning is near.

Helen Steiner Rice

2 comments:

johno said...

Thanks i needed to read that

Ryan said...

You know, all of these cliches aren't what they're cracked up to be. I sit in meetings and I hear these things and it makes me sick. People act like they are going to help them recover when the only thing to do that is "working" the steps. Let go and Let God.....?? Let God do what? This gives people a false sense that "something" outside of themselves is going to magically change something for them. It has been my experience that the only thing that changes anything is the work that I put into it. Page 449, page 449. Has this ever actually stopped a person from drinking? My BB no longer has a page 449. I think even the owner of that story relapsed. Why? Because acceptance does not ensure recovery. Working the steps does, with acceptance as a by-product. I'll admit, "This too shall pass" can give a person a warm and fuzzy feeling inside. But that's a crock of shit!! It will only last so long, because it will come back. And then leave, and come back again. That's the truth. Why don't people walk around saying that and actually preparing a person for something rather than pat them on the ass with a warm "saying" and sending them on their way? I may sound angry, but don't take it that way. At one time I was, but I've sat with the anger and have come to understand it, thus it went away. I say these thing because as a 17 year old I came around and went in and out for 5 years because I thought these warm fuzzies would carry me through. Until I met a sponsor who told me the truth, not what felt good to hear. I'd like to chat more so if I haven't angered you too much get back to me. Thanks for the space.