June 07, 2005

Nurturing a Positive Outlook

Today's thought is:

A negative attitude creates problems, not opportunities.

Some of us exaggerate small setbacks, making our lives far more complicated than necessary. Instead, we need to nurture a positive outlook. The wise among us say, "It's all in how you look at it."

Acknowledging our negative attitude is the first step to discovering happiness. As Wilhelm von Humboldt said, "I am more and more convinced that our happiness or unhappiness depends far more on the way we meet the events of life than on the nature of those events themselves." We can't deny the difficulty inherent in many circumstances, nor the pain that accompanies losses. We can, however, choose to see our experiences, no matter how traumatic, as lessons moving us closer to the enlightened state God intends for us.

I will see my experiences as positive lessons today. No one can change my perception but me.

You are reading from the book:
A Life of My Own by Karen Casey
Copyright 1993 by Hazelden Foundation.

No comments: