June 15, 2005

Thinking, Feeling and Acting Like the Person I Want to Be

Today's thought is:

Our deeds determine us, as much as we determine our deeds.
--George Eliot

Who are we, really? It seems like we are one person on the inside, and yet we often act like someone else. Can a good person do bad things? Can a bad person do good things? It's pretty confusing, isn't it?

Our recovery program teaches us that we can change who we are by changing the things we do. We can become the kind of person we want to be by acting as if we are already that person. For example, if we want to be sober, we can act as if we are a sober person; that is, don't drink, and don't hang out in places where people go to drink. If we want to be a caring person, we can do caring actions for others.

We are the person we feel like on the inside. We are also the person we act like on the outside. In recovery, we change how we think, feel, and act. We practice making changes in each of these areas, and every time we do well in one area, we help in the others too.

Prayer for the Day

Higher Power, Help me become the person I want to be by changing how I act, how I feel, and how I think. I am sick and tired of acting, feeling, and thinking like an addict.

Today's Action

Today I will watch how I think, feel, and act. I will remind myself to think, feel, and act like the person I want to be.

You are reading from the book: God Grant Me... by Anonymous
Copyright 2005 by Hazelden Foundation

No comments: