February 07, 2006

Life is Not a Test

"We have found a loving, personal God to whom we can turn."
Basic Text p. 27

"Some of us come into recovery with the impression that life's hardships are a series of cosmic tests designed to teach us something. This belief is readily apparent when something traumatic happens and we wail, "My Higher Power is testing me!" We're convinced that it's a test of our recovery when someone offers us drugs, or a test of our character when faced with a situation where we could do something unprincipled without getting caught. We may even think it's a test of our faith when we're in great pain over a tragedy in our lives.

But a loving Higher Power doesn't test our recovery, our character, or our faith. Life just happens, and sometimes it hurts. Many of us have lost love through no fault of our own. Some of us have lost all of our material wealth. A few of us have even grieved the loss of our own children. Life can be terribly painful at times, but the pain is not inflicted on us by our Higher Power. Rather, that Power is constantly by our sides, ready to carry us if we can't walk by ourselves. There is no harm that life can do us that the God of our understanding can't heal.

JUST FOR TODAY:
I will have faith that my Higher Power's will for me is good, and that I am loved. I will seek my Higher Power's help in times of need.

Just For Today Daily Meditation is the property of Narcotics Anonymous ©1991 by World Service Office Inc

Technorati Tags: , , ,

No comments: