February 21, 2007

They Becomes We

At once, I became a part -- if only a tiny part -- of a cosmos...
--AS BILL SEES IT, p. 225

When I first came to A.A., I decided that "they" were very nice people -- perhaps a little naive, a little too friendly, but basically decent, earnest people (with whom I had nothing in common). I saw "them" at meetings-after all, that was where "they" existed. I shook hands with "them" and, when I went out the door, I forgot about "them."

Then one day my Higher Power, whom I did not then believe in, arranged to create a community project outside of A.A., but one which happened to involve many A.A. members. We worked together, I got to know "them" as people. I came to admire "them," even to like "them" and, in spite of myself, to enjoy "them." "Their" practice of the program in their daily lives -- not just in talk at meetings -- attracted me and I wanted what they had. Suddenly the "they" became "we." I have not had a drink since.

Daily Reflections
©Copyright 1990 AAWS

No comments: