May 20, 2007

No Strings Attached

And he well knows that his own life has been made richer, as an extra dividend of giving to another without any demand for a return.

--AS BILL SEES IT, p. 69

The concept of giving without strings was hard to understand when I first came into the program. I was suspicious when others wanted to help me. I thought, "What do they want in return?" But I soon learned the joy of helping another alcoholic and I understood why they were there for me in the beginning. My attitudes changed and I wanted to help others. Sometimes I became anxious, as I wanted them to know the joys of sobriety, that life can be beautiful. When my life is full of a loving God of my understanding and I give that love to my fellow alcoholic, I feel a special richness that is hard to explain.

From Daily Reflections GIVING WITHOUT STRINGS ©1990 AAWS, INC.

No comments: