December 26, 2004

Don't Quit Five Minutes Before the Miracle Happens

Then the miracle happened -- to me! It isn't always so sudden with everyone, but I ran into a personal crisis which filled me with a raging and righteous anger. As I fumed helplessly and planned to get good and drunk and show them, my eye caught a sentence in the book lying open on my bed; "We cannot live with anger."

The walls crumpled -- and the light streamed in. I wasn't trapped. I wasn't helpless. I was free, and I didn't have to drink to "show them." This wasn't "religion" -- this was freedom! Freedom from anger and fear, freedom to know happiness and love.

c. 2001 AAWS, Alcoholics Anonymous, p. 206
With permission, Alcoholics Anonymous World Services, Inc.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I often use "Don't quit before the miracle happens" as a slogan/tool to snap me back into reality when I get frustrated with something that isn't going "my way" or when I feel like giving up on something difficult. Whatever difficulty comes along, it has been my experience that "this too shall pass" if I just keep the faith, do what I can and keep trudging.
Thanks for that!
Bo B.