March 06, 2005

Growth In Self-Understanding

Father Leo's Daily Meditation

SELF

"Wherever two people meet,
there are really six people
present. There is each man as he
sees himself, each man as the
other person sees him, and each
man as he really is."
-- William James

Part of my spiritual journey involves the discovery of "self". For years I pretended to be what I was not; for years I pretended to be what I imagined myself to be; for years I pretended to be what you wanted me to be --- always my real "self" eluded me.

Today I am beginning to know myself. I know my needs. I understand my strengths. I accept my weaknesses and I live with my confusions. From the time I decided to put down the glass of alcohol, it progressively got better --- but there is still a great deal I do not understand. Man's inhumanity to man, the daily violence and suffering, my own personal greed, cowardice and arrogance --- where does it come from? I don't know and today that is okay. However, I still search; my suspicion is that the answer lies within my own insecurities.

In Your time, Master, may I grow in my understanding of self.

No comments: