September 12, 2005

Surrender, then Change

"There are two things I've learned from this program. First, to surrender completely. I was fighting a losing battle with the bottle. I gave up, and through defeat, I won. Second, to change myself, because the world isn't going to change to suit 'poor little old me.'

It's just this simple -- whatever it is in me that led me down the alcoholic road to misery, I no longer want any part of it."

c.1976, AA for the Woman (AA Pamphlet P-5), p. 17
===========================

Today, help me, God, to let go of my resistance to change. Help me to be open to the process. Help me believe that the place I'll be dropped off will be better than the place where I was picked up. Help me surrender, trust, and accept, even if I don't understand.

--Melody Beattie

No comments: