September 16, 2005

Taking Stock Helps Us Change

Today's thought is:

Taking an inventory helps us know who we really are.

Before calling it a day, let's look honestly at who we were today. Were we thoughtful and courteous to our friends and lovers? Did we criticize them for not living up to our expectations? Did we put ourselves down for not measuring up to the standards of someone else? Did we ask our Higher Power for guidance, or were we ego-bound?

Getting to know who we are is crucial if we are to change. Doing a daily inventory reflects our willingness to look at ourselves. Most of us want to make changes, or we wouldn't be here in this program. However, we don't have to change everything at once. In fact, that wouldn't be possible. Let's just focus on a small change. Evaluating ourselves at the end of each day will clarify what we need to do differently.

I can be the person I really want to be if I know which behaviors I need to change. I'll do an inventory today.


You are reading from the book:
A Life of My Own by Karen Casey
Copyright 1993 by Hazelden Foundation.

No comments: