May 01, 2005

Making Friends with Yourself

If you make friends with yourself you will never be alone.
--Maxwell Maltz

Sometimes, we frantically adopt other people's problems to avoid confronting our own. Hiding from ourselves and our problems solves nothing. Yet some of us are so frightened by the challenge life has thrown before us that we are reluctant to confront it head on.

Most important is being able to face ourselves, especially when we are alone. We can't always hide in the hustle and bustle of a crowd. But we can find a comfort level within ourselves, regardless of what we face. Then, when our spirituality is deepened and we understand our own struggles - and only then - can we assist, support, and share with others.

My awareness of myself has been enhanced by my new life circumstances. The deeper I dig, the more soul I find. The more soul I find, the more I can share myself.


* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
Today's meditation comes from the book Finding the Joy in Today by Sefra Kobrin Pitzele C 1988 http://Open-Mind.org/Daily/Reading/274.htm

No comments: