May 10, 2005

Try Not to Procrastinate

"Today I try to do all that I have set myself to do in a given day. I make a list of things that I need to do and a list of those things that I want to do - the things I "need" to do usually take priority.

This was not always the case. As a drinking alcoholic my life was littered with promises that were never kept, intentions that were never honored, appointments and meetings that did not happen. I pushed everything into tomorrow - and tomorrow never came.

My understanding of spirituality involves a responsibility for those things that I need to do. When I awake, I thank God for my sleep and I make a silent intention not to drink today; then I face my responsibilities. I separate my "needs" from my "wants" and I remember that I have a responsibility to other people: family, friends and colleagues. Today I am learning to live in my day.

Lord, may I do the things I should do and may I find time for those things I want to do."

From Reverend Leo Booth.

No comments: