May 19, 2005

This is What Forgiveness Is

One forgives to the degree that one loves.
--La Rochefaucould

We all get hurt by other people sometimes. When this happens, we have choices. We can get angry and stay that way. We can act like it didn't hurt and try to forget it. We can act like a sad sack and hold a grudge. Or we can forgive.

We first have to think about how someone hurt us. It often helps to talk to the person, to tell the person that he or she hurt us. We then tell the person what we'd like from him or her to help set our relationship straight. Then we let go.

This is what forgiveness is: (1) loving ourselves enough to stand up for ourselves, (2) loving others enough to point out their behavior, and (3) letting go.

Prayer for the Day

Higher Power, help me lovingly forgive those who have hurt me.

Action for the Day

I will list five persons who have hurt me. Have I forgiven them? I will talk to my sponsor about it today.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
Today's meditation comes from the book
Keep It Simple
Daily Meditations for 12-Step Beginnings & Renewal
By Anonymous C 1989
http://Open-Mind.org/Daily/Reading/12.htm

No comments: